Monday, May 10, 2010

Just Another Sunday

I apologize if I didn't talk to you on Mother's Day. There are a million amazing women in my life that all deserve a flower, a hug, a smile, a phone call and a diamond bracelet for Mother's Day. Unfortunately, I spent most of yesterday trying to avoid the whole dam thing...

Friday I received from Brytin the projects he made at school for Mother's Day. One was a paragraph he wrote that says, "I like my mom because she is pretty and she picks me up at school everyday."

Saturday, I was thinking about how much MORE Mother's Day means to me this year. I was thinking about all the sacrifices mothers, stepmothers, adoptive mothers, and stand-in mothers make. I was thinking about the drive and dedication it takes to be a good, effective and loving mother (and primary caregiver). I was thinking about every Mother's Day prior when I didn't really understand how important it is to celebrate the women in our lives that have impacted us, that have helped shape us, and that have made sure we had a shoulder to cry on, a friend to laugh with, and a ear to listen.

At bar closing time Saturday night, I had a wonderful moment with my husband. We were dancing, and then he looked down at me and whispered "Happy Mother's Day." I was ecstatic. He remembered! He cared! He appreciates me and all that I have done for him and his son the past year!

Unfortunately, that was the full extent of my Mother's Day celebration. And as I told my husband as he laid down to sleep Sunday night, I don't take care of Brytin for accolades, but accolades every once in a while are a really nice thing. I really had hoped to just hear my husband say, "Thank you."

No comments:

Post a Comment