Thursday, July 22, 2010

Bishop Museum Honolulu

I definitely had my fill of Hawaiian history this trip. I'm glad it went like it did - a week of research, a week of exploring and then 2 days of what they wanted me to know.

One cool thing I took away from the Bishop Museum is that ancient Hawaiians had a name for every stage of the moon. And often, they would refer to their birthday by the moon they were born under.

Lunar Days

How they ever memorized all the names, I will never know (there are 30 of them). And each day had very specific rules for their religion and their farming.

In contrast, I know the names of the following moon stages (from high school astronomy):
New
Waxing
Full
Waning

Sad, huh?

I wrote about a full moon once...

I even attempted to take some photographs recently with my mom's fancy camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment