Thursday, July 16, 2009

Monday September 1, 2008

conundrum
Current mood: pensive
I do not speak much about my political preferences with people. I'll talk about current events, but without giving a whole lot of my opinion. I choose to do this because my opinion seems to offend. I am very conservative, very old-fashioned, and also very resolute in my convictions.
However, I am now faced with a horrible conundrum I do not know how to reconcile…
Ever since I can remember I have heard, "Women can be anything. Shoot for the stars. You can even be President someday!" And for as long as I can remember, my response to such statements has been, "Just because women can do everything doesn't mean that they should do everything."
It is of my humble opinion that women need to tend to their spouses, their children, their homes first. I am not saying women should stay home and cook and clean all day. I'm just saying that a woman's priority should be her family.
It is of my humble opinion that women should be emotional. I am not saying women should be a constant damsel in distress. I'm just saying that a woman's heart brings balance to the man's stoic nature.
During the primary season, I was faced with the decision of voting for either the man I like or the policies I prefer. I adore Obama. I love listening to him speak. He is inpsiring. Everyone of his speeches that I have heard led me to believe that America could be an amazing place under his direction. Then I look at his policies and realize that that is not the kind of America I want…
I am not a huge fan of John McCain. Juxtaposed against Obama and Hilary's campaigns, he just seemed like the old white guy who would give us more of the same. But, alas, I align more with Republican polices and so I resigned to voting for him. Plus, I think McCain would be a better boss for Christopher.
And then…He chose a woman as a running mate. I've been pondering this for a couple days now, and I just don't know what to do that.
I DO NOT THINK A WOMAN SHOULD BE PRESIDENT. Ever. We are emotional, hormonal, moody, fickle and unpredictable…I love all of these characteristics about woman. I think God created us this way for a reason. I just don't think any one of those reasons was to run a country.
A woman should not be president. And with a seventy-something man as president, the chance the vice-president will lead the country is at least possible.
Wow, I write about emotion way better than politics. My basic problem is this –
HOW DO I VOTE FOR THE POLICIES I PREFER WHEN THAT NOW MEANS GOING AGAINST MY STERN CONVICTION THAT WOMAN SHOULD NOT BE PRESIDENT?

No comments:

Post a Comment