Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Old Friends

As Heather LaChance once said, "old friends are the best. You don't have to fill in the blanks for them. They know your history." Old friends understand how our past affects the present and shapes the future.

Truth be told, it wasn't really until my first marriage ended that I really started to grasp the pure joy that comes from reminiscing with old friends. And thru the magic of FB, I have actually found a lot of them. Unfortunately, I live about 2200 miles from most of my old friends, so I haven’t had many opportunities for face-to-face reminiscing, but I have been able to catch up with them, be amazed by them, and summon up the ghost of nostalgia with them. Each one holds a special place in my life, each one created a unique memory, each one has an interesting story that got them to where they are today, and each one has an insightful opinion about who I’ve become.

Simultaneously, Chris has also reconnected with old friends. And not just any old friends, but his very best friends from high school. It has been very interesting to sit on the sideline and see him reconnect with people who KNOW him and adore him anyway ;)

No one like an old friend can bring us back to the humble reality that is our lives. No one like an old friend can inspire us to reach further, fly higher, and be remarkable. No one like an old friend can help us see that life is short and needs to appreciated every minute that there is.

Old (adjective)
1. Originating years ago
My friendship with Mindy originated the summer before second grade
2. Wise – showing the understanding, wisdom, or behavior that results from long experience of life
Amy is the wisest friend I have.
3. Existing for specific time
Most of my middle school friendships ceased to exist when I moved to Osseo.
4. Ancient – belonging to the remote past
Some memories should to stay in the remote past.
5. Former – belonging to an earlier period of something such as somebody’s life
Some former friends should probably stay that way.
6. Familiar
Emailing Pam about life’s issues feels very familiar to me.
7. Earlier - existing before one or all of the other stages, forms, or instances of something.
Channing is one of only a few friends that existed during my marriage to Andre and continues to be my friend today.
NOTE: There are actually 15 different, but similar definitions of “old” the adjective. Most of them are applicable to the point I am trying to make, but I am just tired of typing now.

2 comments:

  1. I love this quote, "old friends are the best. You don't have to fill in the blanks for them. They know your history." It is so true! Some times I don't call people that I haven't spoken to in ages just because I feel like it will take too much effort....but with an "old" friend you just pick up where you left off...not much gap-filling-in is needed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree; gap-filling-in is definitely a hinderance to communication. Especially if I am just trying to vent about whatever the issue du jour is!

    ReplyDelete